
Now on to the topic of the day: Boxes! This weekend Chase and I started packing for our pending move. Last week we got a few really nice boxes (wardrobe boxes and such) for free from some nice folks a few miles away. And Chase and I have been grabbing boxes at work whenever they are available. So here are the first few boxes I packed on Friday night:

Please pardon our very messy spare room - I took the picture into the mirrored closet doors, because it was the only way to get an angle of the packed boxes as well as the yet-to-pack boxes. Brook decided the picture needed something, namely her, so she's sitting in the background too. And anyone who has ever helped us move can probably guess what we packed in our first boxes. Yes. Books! :)
On Saturday morning, I got up and searched Craigslist - my very favorite place to get free boxes. And sure enough, there was a listing in a nearby town for free boxes - just the kind and amount of boxes we needed to finish out our moving box stash. I emailed the guy, and as soon as Chase got up, we headed out to pick up the loot:

Did I mention we drive a small sedan? It's not the tiniest car in the world, but it's certainly not large at all. For as much crap as Chase gave me about the Saturn I owned in high school, his BMW isn't much bigger. Fortnuately, though, the back seats fold down, and we were amazed how much we actually got into that car! I'm talking 30 small boxes, 25 medium boxes, a picture/mirror box, and we even stopped at Walmart for a couple of things on the way home.
Oh, and did I mention the trunk closed completely? Yeah. Impressive. The guy who gave us the boxes was working in his garage while we loaded things, and when we went to tell him thank you he saw all we'd packed in there. His comment was, "Wow. You really got a lot of them in there."

The above was the view from the passenger seat looking back toward the trunk. If you look along the top of the picture, you can see the headrest of the back seat, and the area where we folded the seats down. I took the picture before we got the last 10 or so boxes in.
When we brought the boxes into the house, poor Frazier's eyes got as large as saucers, and he was like a magnet hovering nearby us all weekend long. He knows we're leaving and just wants to be sure he's not going to be left behind. We got the boxes on Saturday, and now that it's Wednesday, we have about 15 of them packed. We're taking it slow for now. But soon enough our whole house will be in complete disaray, stuffed in boxes that will be loaded into a truck, and driven half way across the country, only to be stuffed into a storage unit, before they'll eventually be moved one more time and carefully, lovingly unloaded and unpacked into our new home. *sigh* That last bit - that's the great part about moving - coming home after unpacking all the physical boxes, and packing the dreams (aka nightmares) of boxes safely in the past. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment