Last week was my (Steph's) last week of work. I'll be honest. It didn't feel like a last week. I had a LOT to accomplish, and I didn't ever feel like I could get "ahead." But then, that's life. I handed over my office to my successor, Craig, at about 4:30 on Friday, July 31. This is a picture of my last day in my office... probably the cleanest it's been in 2 years (since I started, ha!). I have since seen Craig's office, and while it's now his... it's no cleaner. Welcome to life as the Assistant to the President!
Saturday morning we got up and headed into Mackinaw City where we ate way too much at the best breakfast buffet of which I'd ever had the pleasure to partake. We then went to the Marina where we loaded our stuff onto Jon's family's boat, and Jon, Becky, Chase and I climbed aboard to start our boat trip.
We cruised over to Mackinac Island Marina with Captain Jon at the helm. After an hour of browsing shops, there were no slips available (for all you non-boaters out there, that's boater lingo for "there are no overnight docking spots in the marina, so we can't stay on Mackinac Island on the boat"), so we headed over to St. Ignace - the nearest marina on the Upper Peninsula of MI. They did have slips available, so we docked and tied things up. We walked the town, played cards and had a great time chilling with great friends - especially Philbert. Here is a picture of Philbert:
Philbert made our time at St. Ignace very enjoyable. He and his family welcomed us with open hearts and beaks (as soon as we started feeding him and his family crackers and Doritos). They loved us unconditionally (as long as we kept throwing good food off the boat). They did tricks for us, showing us how great they could swim underwater (as the Doritos began to sink), and racing each other (for the last cracker crumbs). Eventually Chase tried to treat Philbert for all of his great tricks with a Starburst, but - believe it or not - Steph was right that STARBURST SINK! Who woulda thought? Philbert was so attached to us he slept on the back of the boat... and pooped on it. That was pretty much the end of the great relationship with Philbert. At any rate, Philbert made for some great memories. :)
We came home to a disaster house, only to make it more disastrous by continuing the packing process. I think I'm only at 26 boxes and counting, but I have made it back to the College on both of the working days during which I haven't been employed. It's such a great place, I just can't stay away. Tomorrow will be a day of progress on the house, and no visits to the College... I hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment