Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A day in the life of...

Today was my first day of class, which I thought was really exciting and interesting until I got home and Chase called me. Turns out he had a suicidal client from whom he had to nab a knife and then call the cops to hospitalize the client. Yeah. My life is boring. But since I really can't divulge any more information than that (because that's all I know, because Chase can't divulge any more information due to privacy laws) I'll go on with my boring old post anyway...

In a normal week, I'll have one class on Monday afternoon, one class on Tuesday morning, then three classes on Thursday - one in the morning, one in the early afternoon and one in the late afternoon. Today I had my "Monday" class. Yes. I know it's Wednesday, but in the parallel universe that is Georgetown University, today was Monday, tomorrow will be Thursday and we'll all go on with our lives as normal. So I left for class about an hour early and read my assigned book on the way in. It's about 22 minutes on the Metro to my stop, so I hop off the Metro and this is what I see.


I'm standing at the bottom of the escaltor that I have to ride to get up to the street. It's so far to the top that it gets blurry in the picture. I counted today and there are 50 lights going up and it's about 3ft from light to light, so it's a 150 ft. escalator or so. It's F-O-R-E-V-E-R long! I'm going to time it tomorrow. Last week on orientation day I was ambitious and decided to walk up the upward-moving escalator. Not only did it take forever despite the fact that the escalator was moving in the same direction I was, but my legs were like Jello when I got to the top. I know that someday when I go to class, the escalators are going to be broken and I'm going to have to walk it. Not looking forward to that.

So once I finally get up to the street, I hop on the GUTS (Georgetown University Transportation Services) Bus. It's a free ride for the mile from the Metro to Georgetown's campus. I've also taken to reading on the short bus ride too. I'm not convinced in the least that the bus drivers really know what they're doing. It's too scary to watch out the front window! The busses run about every 5 mintues or so, even during rush hour. You can just imagine what it must be like to drive a full size bus in rush hour traffic. I think you have to be a little crazy to take that job.

My class today was in the building closest to where the bus drops me off, which was great. Most of my classes will probably be about 3 buildings over from where the bus drops me, so a few minutes to walk it, and I'm good to go.

Yesterday I actually had my first class, because a prof reschedule tomorrow's class for yesterday - again, it's like a parallel universe that doesn't quite run like everything else, very strange. Anyway, I was in the city having lunch with a friend, so I figured it would be quicker to get off at Foggy Bottom and walk to campus rather than hop off at Rosslyn and take the bus. I would have been close to on time had I not walked 3 blocks in the wrong direction, but as it was I was 15 mintues late, even though I ran 1/2 the way! It was ok, because the prof was doing the "introduce yourself" thing, and I just turned it into a funny story. But I won't be making that mistake again! Always get off at Rosslyn and take the bus. Don't ever fool yourself with "it doesn't look that far on the map. I'll just walk from Foggy Bottom." FOOLISHNESS!

Back to today - I had my Leadership and Psychology class, which I think is going to be a really great class. Then I hopped back on the GUTS bus and headed back to the Metro. The class got out at about 4:15, but I stayed a few minutes after to talk to the prof, which meant I made it home (to our metro stop) at 4:54pm. And this is what I saw as I walked from the Metro station over I-66.



I'm so glad I'm using the Metro and not driving in! :) Here's another thing I saw when I got off the Metro:


I actually saw this earlier in the day on my way in too. It just struck me as funny - I guess I never thought about painting firehydrants. Don't they just come painted? Do you think the over-painted ones ever give firefighters trouble like overpainted windows do and you can't open them?

It was around this point that Chase called and told me of his less-than-dull day, so I decided I'd start on a nice, relaxing, delicious meal so he wouldn't have to wait long to eat when he got home. I decided to make shake and bake chicken with baked potatoes and biscuits. All was going smashingly when Chase got home. I threw in the chicken and sat down to wait for it to cook... About 25 minutes later, I realized I'd done something terribly wrong.

I didn't cover the chicken and it's grease had spattered all over the oven causing a light haze to start in our little home. The light haze turned into enough smoke to set off our extremely loud smoke detectors, and send both of the dogs shivering around our ankles. Fifteen mintues of "Where'd we put the big fan?" "Use this cookie sheet to blow the smoke away" and "This chicken had better be worth it" and we finally had the smoke detectors calmed down, though not so much the dogs. Here's where I found our neurotic little Fraz:

He's definitely in the bathtub - evidently the bubbles from the other night didn't traumatize him too badly! So much for a calm and relaxing evening for my poor hubby!

That's what today was like. I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment