Friday, November 13, 2009

Poke me in the eye!

"Poke me in the eye!" is a phrase that comes to mind when I think about the summers I spent working for Tom Osborne in his congressional office. Megan (one of my co-interns) used to say that when something was either really stupid or really boring or really not something we wanted to do.

That's how I feel today. Nothing's flowing... well, except the raindrops off our roof. They pitter on our skylight and make Frazier nervous.

I did manage to try out a couple of new cookie recipes today. One homerun (Rum meltaways - how could those not be a homerun?) and one strike out (cinnamon stars). I wished I would have had red-hot cinnamon hearts, because then the cinnamon stars (which I used a bear-shaped cookie cutter to cut out, so they were acutally cinnamon bears) could have looked like gingerbears in the classic Christmas book that Mom has read to me for 24 Christmases running.



The Gingerbear's First Christmas is not a well-known book (I just discovered via a brief search on Amazon, which probably means it's not a Christmas classic to anyone but me), but it's always been a tradition in the house I grew up in. Maybe it's because my older brother's teeth marks from when he was 3 still wrinkle the corner of the cover. At any rate, I'm really looking forward to Mom reading it to me again. (Such books just aren't the same if you have to read them to yourself.)

Which brings me to reading, which is something I should be doing. You see? Nothing's flowing! I'm all over the place! I don't know whether to throw in the towel, or kick the can, or cut the cake, or flip the bird, or cry me a river, or *sigh* Tomorrow will be a more focused day.

No comments:

Post a Comment