Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fun with Friends

This weekend, we've had Clint (a friend from Nebraska) staying with us, and consequently we've been doing some sightseeing. (We basically only do sightseeing when people come stay with us, so you should make a trip out soon! Imagine all the fun things we could do!)


Saturday we spent the day in Baltimore, or at least we tried to. Chase blames our GPS for taking us to Annapolis at the start of the day, but I blame Chase, because he was the one behind the wheel. :) Since we ended up in Annapolis, we drove by the Naval Academy and stopped at the Navy's football field. Clint likes to see stadiums wherever he goes, so in the last two days I've seen more stadiums than I probably have in my entire life up to this point!




After resetting Susan (our GPS) and driving for another 1/2 hour, we finally made it to Baltimore where we ate at a place called the Rusty Scupper. We sat next to the window, and the craziest thing happened: this guy dressed in a robe and mardi gras beads was next to the restaurant window in his little row boat in the bay. I leaned over to Chase and said, "This guy can't be up to anything legal." About that time, he put on a pirate hat (fake dreds and all), and took off out toward the pirate-looking ship that was coming around the corner.


The ship was full of little kids with sailor hats on, and as the pirate approached in his boat, the kids got behind water cannons and soaked the pirate as he brandished his sword at them! It was SO FUNNY! And, I have to say, I wished I was one of those kids. At some point I think they captured the pirate, because the next time we looked over, the kids were all dancing in circles on the deck and the pirate and his boat were nowhere to be found. After the excitement at the Rusty Scupper, we went out to Fort McHenry.

We didn't pay to go into the Fort, but we did walk around the outskirts. We were fortunate enough to be there at the time they were preparing to fire a cannon.

They really did load the thing up with powder and shot and pack it all in and fire it out into the bay! It was incredible! And incredibly LOUD! Fort McHenry is where Francis Scott Key wrote the words to the Star Spangled Banner back in 1814 during the War of 1812.

After Fort McHenry, we headed to the real reason for the trip to Baltimore: Camden Yard. We watched the Orioles play the Nationals in Camden Yard. Fortunately, we got seats in the shade with plenty of space around so we could stretch out and enjoy the late afternoon game.

All in all, it was a great day of sightseeing... from which I was glad to get home and shower off the sweat and grime! It's so different to live in a place where we can do things on a regular basis that I only ever did when I was on vacation while I was growing up. It's like having seconds of dessert or buying only namebrand cereal - the things you never realized you could do as an adult!

No comments:

Post a Comment