Every little girl (at least every one I know of) has dreamed of being a princess. And on Saturday, that's exactly what two little girls (and two big girls) got to do. My sister-in-law and I took Lily and cousin Ella to a Princess Party at Stuhr Museum.
For those not from the area, Stuhr Museum is "the museum of the prairie pioneer." It's as close as we get, here in Nebraska, to a place like Mt. Vernon. When I was in elementary, we took a field trip every year to Stuhr, where we'd learn something about settling the Great Plains. One year we learned how to set up a teepee and played with dolls that little Indian girls would have played with. One year we dipped candles like the pioneers used to have to do, and we played with baby chicks. One year we even got to ride the train that was used in the filming of Sarah Plain and Tall (the movie).
But on Saturday, there was no prairie pioneer-ness to be had. It was all princess at Stuhr. I had no idea Central Nebraska had so many princesses! There were princesses of every shape and size and age. We started out at a princess tea party complete with ice water and pink cookies (because princesses can have tea parties without tea). When we entered the room, the caller announced the presence of each princess: "Please welcome Princess Lily to our tea party!" It was pretty adorable, and just look at the costume the caller had to wear. He was a real champ!
We spent the afternoon doing princess-y things like making wands, making crowns, dancing, fishing for prince charming, getting Ella's face painted, and getting her picture with Miss Teen Nebraska. In all honesty, it made me wish I was 3 1/2 again to enjoy it in the innocent and wonderful way of the miniature princesses. (Pictured below are the wand making experience and showing off the wands. Notice the beautifully made crown Ella is wearing in both pictures.)

What is it about the princess that is so appealing to we females? Certainly the gorgeous dresses are wonderful - especially the full length, poofy kind. (Like Ella's - It went all the way to the floor, had tulle, feathery-fur, velvet, lace and sparkles... and somehow at 3 1/2, she knew to pick up the front of the dress when she ran! How did she know that???) And who wouldn't want to walk around all day with a crown and a wand. And then princesses are rich, what with bejeweled crowns, wands, necklaces, bracelets, and all. So of course that's appealing.
I can't help but marvel at the universality of it - just about every little girl, in her heart of hearts, wants to be a princess. It's why the Disney princesses are everywhere. It's why the story of Beauty and the Beast still makes me cry. I don't know about you, but I still, in many ways, yearn for the protection of a king, the innocence of the young princess, the beauty of the queen growing daily in the princess, and the hope of a handsome prince who will one day sweep the princess off her feet.
I have my own theories about such things, mostly summed up in the idea that each female was designed to desire a version of the princess story. It's why some stories are so classic - they speak to each of us in a unique way that is, at the same time, universal.
Lately, in my spirit, I've felt more like Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory than I have felt like Belle of Beauty and the Beast. Though I love many things about my life, and in so many ways I am living my dream, I still think to myself, "I want [fill in frivolous or serious desire here]." Why can't I just be grateful and content? But then, I guess even Belle wasn't content - at least not until she had her prince charming and lived in a castle. Maybe that's what I'm waiting for...
Prince Charming: check
Beautiful Daughter: check
Castle to call my very own home: still waiting
Contentment in my situation: priceless, and so difficult to actually feel and live.
But I think it must be a daily surrender kind of thing. At least it is for me. And for now when I look forward I see great possibilities, and when I look in my review mirror, I see this little angel:

What could be better?


No comments:
Post a Comment