I love it when they accurately predict that a blizzard or blizzard-like conditions are headed my way. It's fantastic, because I have time to prepare, to gather up all those things I've been wanting to do on a snow day, and get to a place where I can share it with friends and/or family. Snow days, to me, are like extra days in life. One ought not spend them doing chore-type things, but rather doing those things that one would never do unless God gifted one a snow day. Life will return to normal all too soon, so I enjoy my snow days with the not-so-normal (for me, anyway).
In addition to being a snow weekend, it was also Lily's very first snow day/weekend, thereby making the experience extra special. We packed up on Friday evening and went to Mom's where we stayed the night, and spent the day Saturday. Here are some of the wonderful things we got to do:
We played Nertz, a card game similar to double solitaire or Dutch blitz:

While playing Nertz, it appeared that Mom stacked her deck. She didn't - we all watched each other shuffle. This was probably the most impressive Nertz deal I've ever seen:
We started building a puzzle and got about 1/3 to 1/2 done with the 1,000 piece monstrosity. (Lily supervised.)
Lily played with her daddy while we all stayed in our sweats/jammies all day long.

And we cooked soup and baked monkey bread in the kitchen with a little help from our counter elf.

You may notice a theme - the little blue chair Lily's sitting in throughout the pictures. It's her Bumbo chair. I don't know who invented it, but that thing is a life saver! Lightweight, easy to move, comfortable for her, and a blessing to her parents, it's a fantastic chair. Special thanks to Aunt Cara for picking it up for us at a garage sale. :)
There were a few things we didn't get to do during our snow day. We didn't get any cookies made. We didn't get in a good nap (at least I didn't - the 20 minute one I did get wasn't all I really needed...). We didn't play any board games. We didn't bundle up and play in the snow. We didn't make a single snow angel.
So you can see that we will need at least one more predicted blizzard before old man winter packs up and heads north for the year. Let's just hope the next blizzard comes on a Sunday night rather than a Friday night...
No comments:
Post a Comment