However, I’m hijacking the blog this week, because it’s about sports. No, not the Huskers. In fact, since I was sick on Thursday, I elected to work on Saturday to make up some of the hours, hence skipping the Husker game and feeling supremely confident in our ability to handle mighty Iowa St. Having seen not a clip nor read not a word about the game, I’ve decided to convince myself that the game, in fact, never happened at all. I’ve avoided my normal sports outlets for the past 24 hours and will continue to do so until I’m certain no highlights of that game remain. It simply didn’t happen in my world. There was no college football last Saturday—all opponents called a truce and took the weekend off. I truly believe this now.
This blog, rather, is about our recent interactions with ESPN the Magazine. Last month’s issue was dubbed “The Body Issue,” and it chronicled, at times in rather…startling visual detail, the bodies of some of the world’s greatest athletes, both male and female alike. In reality, it was an excuse for photographers to get a bunch of athletes naked and take pictures. Now my wife was home the day this issue arrived, and when she got the mail and saw the cover, found it prudent to scan the rest of the magazine. Upon discovering countless other females in the buff, she took it upon herself to play seamstress and fashion Post-It Note leotards and various other articles of clothing for the women who didn’t have the decency to do it for themselves. This was the new cover:
...And some of the more notable spreads that required editing...
When I got home, she showed me her handiwork, which, although impressed, I couldn’t help but wonder aloud why she didn’t just throw it away. After spending better than an hour cutting out designer paper clothing and another half an hour to compose a scathing email to ESPN, that offhand remark earned me “the look.” Rightfully so. So yesterday I get home from work and the following issue of ESPN the Magazine is waiting for me (the NBA Preview Issue—always a favorite). I began flipping through it and remembered that they always have a page dedicated to the feedback, both good and bad, from the last issue. Thinking Steph just might have made her point with the appropriate level of tact and grace (or something opposite to that), I turned to page 20.
Low and behold, comment #2 belongs to none other than my very own, name misspelled, “Stefani Francl, Vienna, VA.” Yes, after years of dreaming about being a sports columnist, sending in comments and witticisms to different writers, and writing numerous disgruntled complaints of my own about how my beloved Huskers wrongfully get their games blacked out while I’m forced to watch lesser teams play meaningless games, my wife sends in one lousy letter and, of course, it gets published immediately.**sigh**
Yeah, you better believe that one earned her “the look.”
First of all, let me set the record straight - Chase has been warmly invited to post on the blog all along. It's only now, in my fame, that he finds the need to express himself pubicly, albeit bragging about me. What a guy!
ReplyDeleteSecond, I just want to let you all know that ESPN the Magazine picked perhaps the tamest sentence of my letter to publish. Among other things, I let them know that if I'd wanted a Penthouse or Maxim subscription for my husband to "read the articles," I could have gotten him one, but I didn't - I foolishly got their magazine. I also let them know that if such material were to ever show up at my house again, they would never receive another dime from me or my household.
Finally, I should point out that I did not know how many women I would have to fashion post-it note clothing for when I started the process. At that point, I thought it would be for the cover and a couple of one-page photos. No, no, no - I was mistaken. It took me over an hour and there were more than 35 naked women with carefully placed arms and/or sporting equipment. Seriously! Do these female athletes have no respect for themselves or others (imagine my 6 year old nephew being a big helper getting the mail for mommy and daddy and finding THAT!)? And some of them were married! Where were their husbands? To all you women out there looking for a great guy, I pray you find one like mine who had the sense to say, "why didn't you just throw it away." After all my work it did garner him "the look," but in retrospect, such a comment reminds me why I love the man more every day.
Hey Chase and Steph,
ReplyDeleteDidn't know you had a blog but glad I caught it on the day you decided to dress the ESPN pictures! That is funny! Looks like you two are doing good there in 'blacked out Husker game land'. Hope we get to see you at Christmas time. Krista