The comment was precipitated by an experience I had yesterday. Brook, our black cocker spaniel, has been limping slighty for a few weeks, and yesterday I had the car for a couple of hours to take her to the vet. We went to a wonderful vet about a mile from our house. Though they are one of the more pricey vets in the area, I'm told by other frequent users of the dog park, the vet was outstanding! She spent more than 20 minutes giving Brook a comprehensive exam, and cooing to her throughout to make her as comfortable as possible.
However, there was bad news at the conclusion of the appointment. Brook needs to have surgery on her leg to fix the problem. Fortunately it's not an urgent surgery, but unfortunately it's extremely expensive to do in this area. With my head still spinning from the estimate of the surgery, Brook and I headed home. I remembered that there is a small animal vet back in Nebraska that Mom knew of, so I got the phone number from Mom just to see what the surgery would cost in a small town back home.
My jaw dropped when I heard that the cost of the surgery in NE was literally only 10% of the cost of the surgery in VA. So, the cost of flying both dogs home AND the surgery AND flying both dogs back is cheaper than getting the surgery done locally in VA. Incredible!
Yes, Kim! Please study hard, get your vet license, and come live near us!!! Not only would that give us the beneift of a fabulous vet nearby (and Puffy the benefit of not having to put up with dogs in her house over the holidays), but more importantly we would have you nearby! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment