Saturday we went into town to tackle a couple of museums. Chase met up with us later in the afternoon (because he had a couple of appointments earlier that day), and after a failed attempt to find a Chipotle, we settled for burgers and fries at Fudruckers. Then we toured the monuments at night. This has become something of a tradition for Chase and I when we have visitors - the monuments are just so much more... majestic at night.

You'll notice in this picture of Dad and I at the Lincoln Monument that there is a lady randomly walking through the picture. I don't know who she is, and likely I never will. Chase has made a game out of such things since we moved here - his goal, when we go to tourist-y places is to "randomly" get in as many pictures (that aren't meant to be taken of him) as possible in the hopes that someday, he'll find himself in someone else's photos on Facebook. *rolling my eyes* *sigh* What a guy, right?

The night we went around to the monuments was one of the most beautiful nights yet this year - it was still and maybe 40 or 50 degrees, so cool, but not too cold. It was just refreshing and smelled of spring, which made sense when the next 3 days were highs in the 50s, and even hit 60 one day! On Sunday Chase left for Liberty University (in Lynchburg, VA) where he had his last class (a 5-day intensive) for his Masters degree. Dad and I went to Arlington Cemetery and Georgetown and then crashed early because Dad's flight out was very early the next morning.
I spent the next couple of days of my spring break working around the house on some special projects for a group called Liberty Central. It's a start-up organization that I'll post more about in the future, but for now, I'm doing some part time work for them. By Thursday, Fraz, Brook and I were ready to really have a Spring Break, so we packed up and headed down to Lynchburg to spend the night with Chase. The dogs like to travel, though they're not huge fans of being kenneled in a hotel room while Chase and me go out to eat. But they survived!
Friday, on the way home from Lynchburg, we stopped at Sonic for lunch and some Route 44 Cherry Limeaids, and then headed to Skyline Drive, a 110 mile drive that overlooks some of Virginia's most beautiful countryside. Unfortunately, the beautiful, sunny, 60 degree spring weather we'd been enjoying had given way to early "April" showers, and this is what we encountered as we approached Skyline Drive.

Believe it or not, this is actually one of the clearer spots - the fog was so bad, you couldn't really see much more than 20 or 30 feet in front of you. We wondered how beautiful Skyline Drive would be if we couldn't see any of the skyline. Well, we didn't have to wonder long. As we appraoched the entrance to the scenic route, here's what we encountered:

At that point, all we could do was laugh and head for home. We'd gone roughly 30 miles out of our way only to encounter thick fog and a closed road. So much for taking the scenic route! We plan to go back and drive it on a sunny, clear day sometime this spring.
when we finally reach home, we were all ready for some serious veg time on the couch. The dogs got a head start on us.

Though not a traditional spring break in some tropical location, my spring break has been delightful - an adventure in exploring the beauty that surrounds me right where I live.
I evening photo's are very amazing !!! Who would have thought to go around to view them at night.... Are there many people around in the evening ? You have cute puppies
ReplyDelete