
Other than my brother, Memorial Day makes me think of my grandfathers, both of whom I'm still fortunate to be able to see and spend time with when I'm home in Nebraska. Both of my grandfathers served our nation in the Korean War in the Army. Here is what I know about their stories:
Gordon Deichmann - my dad's dad. Grandpa Gordon served in the Army in a state-side office setting after he went through basic training. I don't know the exact years he served or in what office of the Army he worked, but I have heard the tales of crazy weekend trips home to Nebraska to see family and friends. Evidently, it was possible to drive at unspeakable speeds for long hours across many states without encountering law enforcement to slow one down. :) While it speaks of Grandpa's need for excitement in his young life, his visits home also speak to the importance he has placed on being home with family and friends.
Jerry Friesen - my mom's dad. Grandpa Jerry served in the Army in Japan during the Korean War. I've heard snippets of stories from the time on the boat getting over there. What I remember being said was that everyone was sea sick, so you wanted to be on kitchen crew if at all possible because it at least got you out of your bunk and thinking about something other than sea sickness. In Japan, Grandpa Jerry worked on radios and communication contraptions, a skill he later turned into a career as a TV and radio repairman. I took the pictures below at the Korean War Memorial here in DC. As I took them I thought about the radios in the men's hands, and how my grandfather may have worked on radios just like these.


I have so much to be thankful for this Memorial Day, foremost among things I'm thankful for is the freedom I enjoy as a citizen of America. My undergrad degree is in political science, my MA will be in American Government. I have been able to study these things and learn to exercise my freedoms and rights because of brave men and women who have served our country. To those who have served, and to those who are serving now, thank you. Your sacrifices have not gone unnoticed.
No comments:
Post a Comment