Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My favorite place in DC

Ok, so it's not really in DC, but it's close to DC, and if you ever make it to the area, you MUST visit Mount Vernon! Mount Vernon, George Washington's home, is my favorite tourist place to visit in the DC area. I talked it up a LOT over the last 6 months, since my first visit with my cousin Kelsey, and I was so glad to hear from Mom, Kim, and Chase that they all were impressed with it as well!



When Mom and Kim were out for Thanksgiving, we got tickets wander the grounds, education center, and museum during daylight hours, as well as tickets for the evening candlelight tour of Mount Vernon. The candlelight tour is a special thing that they do at Mount Vernon only during the Christmas season, and it was SO worth it! I mean, they had a miniature Mount Vernon made out of gingerbread, for Pete's sake!


We spent the afternoon enjoying the view of the Potomac, wandering through the sprawling grounds, and learning about the Washingtons' lives. Then we spent some time in the gift shop while waiting for our candlight tour time. The picture below is of Chase and I just before we started off on our tour.


The tour was great, hosted by "people who spent Christmas with the Washingtons." The actors were great, and the only complaint I have about the whole experience was that it was over far too soon for me. We started out with hot apple cider listening to carolers and sitting around a campfire. Then we went down the candlelit walk and through the mansion. We completed the tour in the greenhouse where Kim even learned an 18th century dance that the Washingtons themselves very well may have danced.


We finished the evening by listening to classic carols and 18th century songs played by a cello, flute and hammered dulcimer. They even took our requests for songs!


To use Mom's phrasing, it was a very educational and cultured experience that we all really enjoyed. Mount Vernon didn't give us a "comercial" experience in the way that we're used to Christmas being today. It was delightfully old fashioned and really quite peaceful. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Of course, I've been recommeding Mount Vernon to anyone and everyone since I first visited in May of this year. YOU should visit Washington's home - it's totally worth it. I'm so glad I found this treasure of a place, and I'm so glad it's been preserved for us to enjoy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment