And besides that, I only really remember the song from watching Claymation Christmas when I was little, and the visual was so much more interesting than the words, I guess I never really learned the words.
Anywhoo, in case you hadn't yet guessed, this blog post is going to be about our Christmas tree. In our 5 years of marriage, we have yet to get a "real" tree. Instead, we survive with the "6-foot" fake tree I got for like $30 at Big Lots when I was in college. It's really more like 5-feet tall with a single really tall center branch that sticks straight up to reach that 72nd inch. But I fold down the really tall center branch so that it's strong enough to hold up the star, and it works out ok. See:
Because red is my favorite color and oh-so-very-festive, our garland is red. The tree is probably on its last year, because for the last two years we've been unable to get the back-lower quadrant of the tree to light up (it's one of those pre-lit trees). Thus, the back, lower portion of the tree is against the wall. None the less, it's been a great tree. See how full it is under the tree already! What good is a tree without any presents under it!?!
Every year when we set up our tree, it's a little walk down memory lane. My grandparents (on my mom's side) have gotten me a Christmas ornament for Christmas every year since 1985, and my mom has gotten me an ornament each year since probably 1994 or '95. So when Chase and I got married, I got him an ornament. Below is the first ornament we got from my Grandma after we got married - the dancing couple in the gazebo - and the first ornament I got Chase after we got married - the flamingos.
Ooo! You can see off to the right our latest addition this year - a clear ball from our vacation in Corpus Christi, TX. We decided when we got married that we'd get an ornament every time we traveled somewhere so that as we built our collection over the years, it would mean something to us when we put it up. (Also, it's a great way to get Chase to help me decorate!) Even the dogs get in on the fun - at least when I remember to get them an ornament.
And of course, I make sure we get ornaments representative of the big things that happen in life. Thus far such ornament-worthy events include Chase and my graduation from Hillsdale College (the ball on right) and my graduation from Georgetown (the penguin on the left). If he's really in a mood when we decorate, Chase plans out the ornaments - all the angels together, the Husker ornaments together, the college ornaments together, etc... Who knew he was so organized!
Christmas is such a special season - a season that no amount of difficulty, frustration, stress, or all-around-Grinch-ness can spoil for me. It can't be spoiled, because it's a holiday that's not really of this world. Christmas isn't about me or gifts or wants or self. It's about the celebrating the birth of the One who makes me worthy of coming before the Throne of Almighty God. What a gift! What an extraordinary gift.
It's a gift that gives life, so Chase and I celebrate our lives as we set up our tree. We celebrate what Christ has done in our lives thus far, and we look forward to adding to our ornament collection and celebrating all that is to come. Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment