Did you ever think about what it must have been like for people having children hundreds or even thousands of years ago? Think, even, about Mary who was told by an angel that she would become pregnant, and likely her only clue was an eventual missed period. Maybe she felt sick, or maybe she didn't, or maybe she was exhausted all the time, or maybe she wasn't. Yet whether she felt it or not she was pregnant and carried the Savior to term despite the fact she didn't have
What to Expect When You're Expecting to read.
Don't get me wrong. I'm by no means claiming any sort of similarity to Mary other than that we share the same gender, but still - that's astounding to me! I have the benefit of TONS of resources that tell me a little bit about my Little Bit each day. I have a journal of sorts that Chase and I read on our way in to work that tells a paragraph about how the baby is developing and a paragraph of tips and advice for me.
In addition to the resources I have to read both via book and the web, I also have the benefit of doctors to confirm my suspicious. I mean, imagine Mary talking to her BFF: "No, seriously, I've never slept with Joseph, but I haven't had my period in 8 weeks, and I'm exhausted ALL the time." Her friend would have thought she was crazy!
At any rate, the real reason for this post is to share the thing that's making me excited about this whole process again: a picture. Below is the very first picture of our Little Bit:
We almost didn't get this picture, but thanks to my uterus being burried somewhere super deep in my pelvis, Little Bit got to make his/her photo debut! Now, this may just look like a little white blob about the size of a dime inside a slightly larger black blob, but that white blob's heart is beating. We saw it beating. The brain is developing. All of the tissues that are the building blocks of all of the organs are in there. The kidneys are already functioning. All of the vertebrae are already formed. That little stinker is already excreting waste!
Mary didn't know any of that when she was 8 weeks along, and neither have millions of women for centuries. I feel so fortunate for the information we have today. It's such a privilege to know each day how Little Bit is developing and to prepare for the big day (which happens to be September 28, just so you know. For all of you wondering, my due date is the exact date of my older brother's birthday - a miracle if you ask me that out of 365 days, that is the day).
At any rate, cheers to the miracle of life and the miracle who's growing quietly, quickly, and oh so preciously inside of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment