
When we all arrived, it was decided that in the interest of encouraging bipartisanship, we should probably not divide on partisan lines. Dr. Lengle arbitrarily suggested a division, and we all agreed. Turns out the director of our program knows us well – the teams were pretty evenly matched!
I played catcher and Lynn, one of our profs, played pitcher. I felt like I had the least likelihood of making a serious error behind the plate, because runners couldn’t advance if I fumbled a pitch. And it was a good thing. I have a new respect for my brother, Tony, who played catcher in legion ball when he was in high school. There’s so darn much to watch and worry about!
There's the ball being pitched and the potential that the batter might not hit it or might hit a fly ball, for which I would then be responsible.

Then there's the runners who must be watched, and the potential that a critical play would need to be made at home plate. It was a lot to handle!

Everyone enjoyed the fun, even the parents, family members, and significant others who attended. Lynn brought her son Sam who is about 10 years old. He was decked out in a full Washington Nationals uniform including tall socks, baseball pants, cleats, batting glove, and batting helmet. Suffice it to say he was ready for the game!
(Front: Richard, Sam, Cabell, Matt; Middle: Christina, Steph, Tiffany, Lynn, Alix, John, Sarah, Dan; Back: Kevin, Bryan, Paul, Robb, Isaac, Meg, Jim)
Fourteen of the sixteen class members showed up, and after 10 innings, we were all pretty tired. We played for two hours, and I hit every time I was at bat and got on base 3 out of the 4 times, I think. I don’t remember Chase’s stats, but I’m sure he could tell you. I do remember, though, that there was a point where I was batting a thousand and he had gotten out more than once!
After the game, Cabell provided orange slices and Capri Sun for the group, and we all headed our different ways to cool off, chill out, nap, and otherwise prepare for the festivities to come that night.
No comments:
Post a Comment