Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Turning Vacation Lemons into Lemonade

Every now and then, God reminds me that no matter how much I plan or prepare, things will happen that are out of my control. We just got back from a vacation that emphasized this lesson to me.

Two Thursdays ago, Jim, a friend from back home, flew in to visit and to dogsit for us while Chase and I went on vacation. We spent a couple of days teaching Jim the Metro system and touring the city together, then on Sunday Chase and I flew out to Texas.

We met up with friends in San Antonio where we grabbed a bite to eat, then the boys did the River Walk, while Nicole and I headed to the beach house we rented in Corpus Christi. When we were about 30 minutes from arriving, I got a phone call from Adam and Gina (who arrived ahead of us), saying the place was totally sketch and we probably shouldn’t stay there! I about puked right there in Nicole’s car. Not even kidding – Nicole you’re lucky I held my cookies.

We made it to the place, and while it wasn’t everything I’d hoped, it wasn’t THAT much worse than I’d expected, and the distance to the beach was way better than I’d expected. We all agreed we’d give the sketchy place a night and see what the next day brought. (This is me, sleeping off the stress of picking a seedy place for us all to stay.)



As it turned out, we stayed at the beach house the whole week despite the sub-par beds, miniscule and well-used towels, and limited pots and pans. (We stayed in the two downstairs apartments in the house you can see behind Nicole's shoulder in the picture below. Beckett is helping Chase burry Scottie in the sand.) It was having people in the place that made it livable (that and the numerous, dripping, window air conditioning units that – bless their cooling coils – kept the place at bearable temperatures).



It wasn’t necessarily what I’d materially hoped for - no granite countertops or stainless steel appliances or anything newer than 10 years old - but it worked. Ultimately, we achieved the two main goals I had when planning the trip: spending tons of quality time catching up with good friends and spending most of that time on the beach.





This was most of the group that came: Matt, Scottie, Nicole, Gina, Chase, and me. Adam and Beckett were also there, though not pictured here.

More details to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment