Actually that second phrase of the title of this post isn't true at all. I am NOT ready to go. I've still got 4 weeks and 5 days worth of stuff to do before I'm really ready to go to the hospital for this big event called the birth.
This week on Wednesday night at birthing class, the birthing instructor asked if everyone had their bags packed. Chase and I, being the first in the class to be due (by almost a month), shook our heads "no" along with everyone else. The instructor looked at me and said, "Oh, Steph. [dramatic pause...] You really should have your bags packed." Did I mention the instructor is an RN who's worked in the birthing center for like 30 years? It was a little disconcerting!
So Chase and I got to work last night:

It looks like a lot, doesn't it? They gave us a packing list at birthing class, and we followed it to a "t." There's the "labor tools" backpack full of things that might make labor "more comfortable." (Uh-hu. Right. We'll see how that goes...) Then there's Chase's overnight bag with snacks, books, cards, camera, and all other forms of distraction as well as clothing. Then there's my bag, which is the the fullest but still lacks a few things I need to pick up when I'm in town next week. (Realistically, the only things I'll use out of it are my bathrobe and my going home outfit, but I always over-pack, so nothing new there.) Fourthly, we have the baby's bag - seems like she doesn't need very much stuff, but I guess the hospital provides a lot of what we'll need (oodles of diapers, wipes, blankets, etc. although we did pack, a few of those things too). And finally the very critical car seat. Chase is going to install the base in the car this weekend, so then we'll really be good to go.
After packing all that stuff last night, we rearranged some things in the baby's room, talked about the final pieces of furniture we have to refinish this weekend, and got to work charging the baby monitors that my Aunt Denise sent for the baby. (Thanks, Denise for the monitors!!! :) )
Anyway, it all made things seem very real. That little monitor will soon pick up the soft (and loud) sounds of our child. We'll go from a family of 2 to a family of 3 - just like that - overnight - in a moment - bam - viola! - badda-bing-badda-bomb - with no real "warm up" period. It seems so strange to me how that works. I realize there's 9 months of preparation, and for me that has meant 9 months of planning, researching, reading, analyzing, comparing, and learning. But in a second 2 will become 3.
And there's no doubt it's going to happen. Just look at me! -

The other day I was in the Central City Mall (i.e. grocery store) buying a honeydew melon. One of the shelf stockers walked by the register as I was checking out and cracked to the checker, "Don't forget the one she hid under her shirt." I laughed! I thought it was funny. Plus, who would go to THAT much trouble to sneak a melon out of a grocery store?
It's true. Our bags are packed, and we are ready in the way I'm sure all soon-to-be parents are ready: scared spitless. But we'll make it. I just really hope our little bun in the oven has plans to stay there for another 4 weeks and 5 days...
No comments:
Post a Comment